The adventures and shenanigans of three friends who are having randomly awesome times in Thailand and are hoping to be sober enough to remember them.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

So This Is Where You Are, And This Is Where I Am

Bangkok, Thailand

A perhaps slightly melancholic post tonight, due to the fact that tonight has been our last night in Bangkok. That also means it's our last night in South East Asia, and our last night away from Australia. As I type, lights are being turned out all around me in the internet cafe, in the hallway outside, and on the street.

In a way, it's metaphoric for our trip. If freedom and the ability to choose what we want to do is light, then darkness is the complete antithesis of what we have been consistently striving for and have been achieving. And happily, more than happily, the things we have been ecstatically achieving.

So it's with a deep and lingering sadness that I report that the final night of drinking is done. We've had our jugs and our bottles of Singha, we've enjoyed our post-drinking kebabs and pad thai, we've bid farewell to my parents until the airport tomorrow. We've had emotional moments and chats, we've enjoyed the company of strangers, and we've embraced the randomness that is travelling.

All in all, it's been a good night. No, I'm sorry. I lied. Each day, night, and every single moment of the last 78 days have been excellent.

And now, we've reached the end of all things. I've been debating with Drew for the last few days over how to end both my written journal and Wangthai. Should I end it with something positive, something reinforcing our conviction in travel? Should I end it with something insightful, something that will inspire others to travel in our footsteps (avoid the Sang Som whiskey, dear GOD avoid the Sang Som)? Should it be melancholic? Hopeful? Truthful?

I'm of the opinion it's something to think about on the plane home.

But tonight, before my final few posts, I'll end it with a cheers that both Drew and I shared and appreciated. The Wanglor Elite will understand.

Here's to saving each other, one step at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home