The adventures and shenanigans of three friends who are having randomly awesome times in Thailand and are hoping to be sober enough to remember them.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Post From The Edge

Chiang Mai, Thailand
11am

Maybe I should call my journal "The Edge"? Note to self: contemplate name.

So here's an edited down version of what I wrote about Bangkok and our first day.

"We landed in Bangkok at their shiny new International airport. The airport was very long, and very big. We tasked Jono with finding us a transport method into Khao San Road; he settled on the 500baht taxi option." (incidentally, when we went back to the airport for our flight to Chiang Mai, it only cost us 360baht.)

"Tomorrow is the king's birthday, and it seems as if the city itself is celebrating. Strings of lights are hanging up and down the streets and in a big park near Khao San the locals were having a bit of a knees up. The park was ringed by market stalls selling everything from t-shirts and trinkets to food, shoes, posters, and the odd harmonica. I paid 10baht for a container of what I thought would be pineapple juice, but turned out to be corn juice. Don't ask me how they make it. Still no sign of my fried grasshoppers, tho I do still live in hope." (I found my fried grasshoppers on Khao San our last night there; sadly, I was off to dinner a the time and made a mental note to go back and have them. By the time I made it back, my saviour had vanished like a fart in the wind. I still live in hope.)

And from the second day:
"The day started off with a shower in our combo-shower-toilet-bidet-sink room." Yes, it's all in the one room. Seperation? What's seperation?

I kinda took my journal with me when we hit the piss the other night. Here's how it went down, written style.
(neat writing) "We've got a 3 bed room in the Khao San Palace Inn, 950baht a night. We're about to head out for beer, hookers, and food. Not necessarily in that order."
(shambolic writing) "Anyway, we went out. Had a 3L jug of Tiger beer at the singh bar. Either way, we have against time with each other 2nite. After the Singh bar we went to the Center Khao San. At this point we had a bottle of Sang Sam whiskey mixed with redbull and coke and with ice."
(insert huge smiley and a Love Jono sign)
(even more shambolic) "Got maggot, its tops. Every trip needs to get drunk together and see who they really are. Only then can people spend 3 months together. Drew says: Sang Som whiskey sucks but I'm f*cking wasted
Jono says the same, minus the f*cking wasted"
(insert cartoon drawn by Drew)
(in huge messy writing covering an entire page) "And Adam says f*cking hell, this is the best way to start the trip EVER"

As you can see, "shambolic" was the word of the day.

We caught the plane up to Chiang Mai, and it wasn't a scam. Took us about an hour, it was great.

Today we're pottering around Chiang Mai, sorting out some accommodation, having some breakfast, going to some temples, and whatever else tickles our fancy. Tomorrow we're gonna be doing the thai cooking course that I'm keen on, and then we're looking at doing a trek over the weekend. As always, we'll keep you posted. As Ed Murrow would say, "Good night, and good luck."

PS: Drew can post here too! Yay! I don't have to be the only one trying to remember stuff! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home