The adventures and shenanigans of three friends who are having randomly awesome times in Thailand and are hoping to be sober enough to remember them.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Journal-tastic!

Greetings all from sunny Thailand! I've been keeping a written journal rather than an online one, so I'm doing my best to summarise the events of the last few days in about 18 minutes, cos Jono and Drew wanna get a shuffle on. Plus my internets time runs out, although at $1 for an hour, I'm pretty certain I couldn't give a shit.

So, where do we start? We took off, we got bored, we landed. Although I highly recommend Thai Airways; their entertainment system is FANTASTIC. When I have more time I'll type out some of the journal, and you can get some more gory details to gossip about.

We found ourselves on Khao San Road our first night, and as luck would have it we arrived the day before the Kings Birthday. The King over here is like...the ultimate shiny Drew respect point. Every loves him, so they were having a big festival/party thing in a park about 5 minutes walk from the Road. So us being us, we tagged along and checked it out. We heard the bass from the stages before we even saw the crowds. We saw a shitload of people, watched a bit of muay thai boxing, shopped around some markets, and generally got looked at as if we'd grown a third head. There were practically no foreigners (farang! I learnt a new Thai word!) around, which we thought was odd. Come the next night, there were backpackers everywhere. But we had that little festival night all to ourselves.

We've sorted out Jono's flight home and we're heading up to Chiang Mai tonight. Flying in a plane, would you believe. The trains are all booked out until the 11th, and there's no way in hell we're sitting in a bus for 15 hours. Not after that plane flight over here. So we're taking el-planeo, for about AUD$90 and 1 1/4 hours flying time. Easy!

We haven't done much touristy stuff yet, and to be honest we didn't have our first beer in Thailand until last night. For those of you that are time savvy, you'll realise we spent 3/4 of a day in Thailand without touching hooch. Don't ask me how it happened, I haven't figured it out yet.

So when I get a bit more time, I'll let you know more. Suffice to say we've investigated Bangkok and we're ready to move on. Tho I gotta make mention of the fact that everything is SO DAMN CHEAP! Beer is about $2 for a tallie, and we discovered that they sell 3 LITRES of beer in a tower/mini keg thing that sits on your table. Costs about 15 bucks, which is the cost of 1125mL of beer at home. I think we win. I had breakfast this morning (bacon, eggs, toast, 2 boiled eggs, plate of fresh fruit, OJ) for $6. Tuktuk fares from the skytrain station to this tourist place we had to go to about 25 minutes walk away cost us (drum roll please)...30 baht. That's $1. I love this place.

It's time to fly. Time is up and we've got some things to do. Thai massages, visiting cheap electronics places, finding some more beer...gosh it's a hard life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home